Council is the governing body of QMUL. Comprising twenty one members, of whom 12 are external members, Council is responsible for overseeing the strategic mission, direction and affairs of the institution. Council sits at the pinnacle of QMUL's corporate governance framework.
Council convenes on five occasions per year. In order to undertake its duties effectively Council delegates decision-making in designated areas of QMUL activities to a suite of sub-Committees, including Finance and Investment Committee, Audit and Risk Committee, Governance Committee and Remuneration Committee. Senate - technically a sub-Committee of Council, is also supported by a number of sub-Committees.
Executive authority for development and implementation of QMUL's Strategy 2014 - the next five years and wider strategic framework rests with Queen Mary Senior Executive (QMSE). The institution's delegation framework [PDF 395KB] details authority for decision-making in both the executive and governance spheres.
The organisational chart [PDF 116KB] shows the membership of QMSE. More information is provided on the the Principal's webpages.
The Secretary to Council is Jonathan Morgan. Please contact Sian Marshall, Assistant Registrar (Council and Governance) in the first instance.
Meeting dates 2017-18
- Thursday 19 October 2017, 1600 hours, Colette Bowe Room
- Thursday 30 November 2017, 1600 hours, Colette Bowe Room
- Thursday 12 April / Friday 13 April 2018 – Residential conference including Council meeting
- Thursday 31 May 2018, 1600 hours, 3.06 Garrod Building, Whitechapel Campus
- Thursday 12 July 2018, 1600 hours, G05 Rotblat, Charterhouse Square
Meeting dates 2018-19
- Thursday 11 October 2018, 1600 hours, Colette Bowe Room
- Thursday 29 November 2018, 1600 hours, Colette Bowe Room
- Thursday 28 March 2019, 1600 hours, Colette Bowe Room
- Thursday 9 and Friday 10 May 2019, 1600 hours – Residential conference including Council meeting
- Thursday 11 July 2019, 1600 hours, Location TBC
Minutes and papers relating to Council can be found here.