Guidance and Contacts
The Academic Secretariat supports Schools/Institutes in the development of collaborative programmes and supports the work of Partnerships Board. Schools and institutes are encouraged to discuss collaborative proposals with the Academic Secretariat (ARCS) in the developmental phase. ARCS can give advice on the approval process and can provide guidance on the documentation required and on quality assurance matters.
For advice on collaborative proposals, including preparing and submitting proposals to PB, please contact:
Raluca Vasiliu-McIver, Academic Standards and Quality Officer (Collaborative provision)
Mary Childs, Assistant Academic Registrar (Research Degrees): for collaborative research degree arrangements and professional doctorates.
For further information on academic approval please contact the Academic Standards and Quality Officer specifically assigned to work with your Faculty.
International Partnerships Office:
Harriet Howse, Head of International Partnerships, Marketing and Communications
Ceri Bevan, Head of Study Abroad
Wiebke Leugers, Erasmus+ Exchanges.
All new collaborative proposals need the strategic approval of the Partnerships Board (PB).
The following types of collaborative activity require approval:
• General MOUs
• Non-guaranteed progression agreements
• Double awards
• Joint Taught awards (currently with UK institutions – policy with overseas institutions in development)
• Joint Research awards (PhD)
• Erasmus+ Mobility
• Study Abroad (Non-Erasmus mobility arrangements) and Exchange agreements
• Collaborative modules
The policy does not cover:
• Franchise or validation arrangements;
• Individual research collaborations.
To ensure the effective development, management and review of collaborative activities, staff are required to consult the following guidelines and to complete the necessary documentation.
- Guidance notes for Collaborative Provision proposals [DOC 84KB]
- Approval at a Glance [DOC 14KB]
- Queen Mary Collaborative Provision Framework [DOC 83KB]
- Placement Learning Policy Matrix [PDF 190KB]
- Procedure for International Exchange Programmes and Annex A [PDF 28KB]
- International Partnerships Ethical Policy: currently being updated
- QAA: Chapter B10: Managing higher education provision with others.
- For new collaborative taught programmes: Programme Development
Approval Forms 2015/16:
Stage 1: Strategic Approval by PB
- Stage 1 Partnership Proposal Form (to be used for all kinds of partnerships except taught single, joint or double award programmes) [PDF 1,118KB]
- Stage 1 Partnership and Programme Proposal Form (single, joint and double award programmes) [PDF 2,447KB]
- Stage 1 Partnership and Programme Proposal Form (single, joint and dual programmes) (SMD programmes) [PDF 2,448KB]
- Due Diligence checklist [PDF 2,987KB]
Stage II: Academic Approval
- Stage 2 Academic Proposal Form (Articulation Agreements) [PDF 1,118KB]
- Part 2 Programme Proposal Form: for single/joint/double awards [PDF 1,566KB]
Renewal of Collaborative Arrangements:
After stage 1 approval a Memorandum of Understanding may be signed; following stage 2 academic approval, the detailed Memorandum of Agreement will be submitted to PB for approval. When drafting Memoranda of Understanding/Agreement, please consult the Academic Secretariat who can advise on the right agreement model to be used.
You can find a list of the institutions that QMUL collaborates with on the Register of Collaborative Provision. [PDF 301KB]
Using the Forms
To use the on-line forms you will need Adobe Reader 9 (or Acrobat 9). The latest version of Adobe Reader can be downloaded from this link and is free to download.
Once the relevant form has been downloaded it should then be saved and completed. Failure to save the document will mean that data will be lost if you press the back button in your internet browser