Examination boards are the committees responsible for the management of assessment, progression and award decisions. QMUL has a two-tier examination board system; school, institute or discipline-based Subject Examination Boards (SEBs) set assessments, approve assessment results and progression outcomes, and make award recommendations to the award-based Degree Examination Boards (DEBs).
Subject Examination Boards are managed by staff in academic schools and institutes, while Degree Examination Boards are managed directly by the Academic Registry and Council Secretariat (ARCS). Subject Examination Boards are quality assured and attended by external examiners, while external members – Academic Registrars from other UK universities - fulfil the same role for the Degree Examination Boards.
These pages are designed for staff involved in the management of examination boards, and include key policy documents, document templates, details of current examination board chairs and officers, and examination board dates for the current academic year. For further information on examination boards, assessment processes or the Academic Regulations, please contact Simon Hayter.
Appointing SEB officers
When appointing a new SEB Chair or Deputy Chair, please contact Alice de Havillan with a short nomination from the Head of School or Institute. Please also let us know if the Secretary to the board has changed, or if there are any other new contacts to add to the mailing lists. For other changes to SEBs, please contact Simon Hayter for advice.
- Academic Regulations 2016-7 [PDF 1,150KB] ( Summary of major changes [PDF 118KB]) ( Red pen version [PDF 1,389KB])
- Assessment Handbook 2016-17 [PDF 560KB] ( Summary of major changes [PDF 70KB]) ( Red pen version [PDF 837KB])
- Examination board dates 2016-17 [PDF 71KB] (staff only)
- Examination board Chairs and contacts [PDF 90KB] (staff only)
- Assessment Governance Review 2013-14 [PDF 106KB] (approved outcomes)
SEBs must use these approved templates in all cases.
- Chair's action template [DOC 45KB]
- SEB report generator (restricted access, and refer to the Assessment Handbook for guidance)
- Standard SEB agenda template [DOC 27KB]
- Standard SEB minutes template [DOC 36KB]
- Associate SEB agenda template [DOC 25KB]
- Associate SEB minutes template [DOC 30KB]
- Extenuating circumstances sub-board agenda template [DOC 24KB]
- Extenuating circumstances sub-board minutes template [DOC 28KB]
- SEB report to the Degree Examination Board template [DOC 39KB]
- Request to retake form [DOC 861KB]
- Request to first take form [DOC 861KB]
- Extenuating circumstances claim form template [DOC 92KB]
- Extenuating circumstances monitoring form template [DOC 25KB]