Examination boards are the committees responsible for the management of assessment, progression and award decisions. Queen Mary has a two-tier examination board system; school, institute or discipline-based Subject Examination Boards (SEBs) set assessments, approve assessment results and progression outcomes, and make award recommendations to the award-based Degree Examination Boards (DEBs).
Subject Examination Boards are managed by staff in academic schools and institutes, while Degree Examination Boards are managed directly by the Academic Registry and Council Secretariat (ARCS). Subject Examination Boards are quality assured and attended by external examiners, while external members – Academic Registrars from other UK universities - fulfil the same role for the Degree Examination Boards.
These pages are designed for staff involved in the management of examination boards, and include key policy documents, document templates, details of current examination board chairs and officers, and examination board dates for the current academic year. For further information on examination boards, assessment processes or the Academic Regulations, please contact Simon Hayter.
Appointing SEB Chair/Deputy Chair
When appointing a new SEB Chair or Deputy Chair, please contact Alice de Havillan with a short emailed nomination from the Head of School or Institute. Please also let us know if the Secretary to the board has changed, or if there are any other new contacts to add to the mailing lists. For other changes to SEBs, please contact Simon Hayter for advice.
- Academic Regulations 2018/19 [PDF 2,884KB]
- Assessment Handbook 2018-19 [PDF 1,202KB]
- Academic Regulations 2019/20 [PDF 1,741KB]
- Assessment Handbook 2019/20 [PDF 563KB]
Useful information & Links
- SEB report generator (restricted access, and refer to the Assessment Handbook for guidance)
- Examination Board Chairs and Contacts 2019-20 [PDF 69KB]
- Exam Board dates 2019/20 [PDF 69KB]
- Assessment Governance Review 2013-14 [PDF 106KB] (approved outcomes)
SEBs must use these approved templates in all cases.
- Chair's Action TEMPLATE [DOC 32KB]
- Standard SEB Agenda 2019-20 TEMPLATE [DOC 30KB]
- Standard SEB Minutes 2019-20 TEMPLATE [DOC 38KB]
- Associate SEB Agenda TEMPLATE [DOC 26KB]
- Associate SEB Minutes 2019-20 TEMPLATE [DOC 31KB]
- EC Claim Form [DOC 37KB]
- EC sub-board agenda TEMPLATE [DOC 25KB]
- EC sub-board minutes TEMPLATE [DOC 28KB]
- SEB EC Summary report TEMPLATE [DOC 26KB]
- SEB report to the DEB TEMPLATE [DOC 41KB]
- Retake Academic Year Form 2019 [DOC 856KB]
- First Take Academic Year Form 2019 [DOC 858KB]