QMUL’s quality framework is informed by:
- The Strategic Plan 2014-19
- The Student Experience, Teaching, Learning, and Assessment Strategy 2014-19 [PDF 73KB]
- The Queen Mary Statement of Graduate Attributes
- Key external reference points provided by the QAA in the UK Quality Code.
QMUL's quality framework comprises:
- Programme/module development - including programme approval, amendment and withdrawal and module approval, amendment and withdrawal
- Programme specifications
- Collaborative provision
- Programme and assessment regulations
- The Queen Mary Academic Credit Framework [PDF 207KB]
- External examiners and examination boards
- Student feedback and student induction
- Annual Programme Review
- Periodic Review
- External reviews by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education and by Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Bodies.
Staff are advised to consult the individual web pages above for specific advice on each component of the quality framework. These provide the contact details of ARCS staff who can help with any particular questions.
Responsibility for quality and standards at Queen Mary
Senate is the custodian of quality and standards at Queen Mary, and its work is informed by reports from the Principal and Vice-Principals and the Chairs of its Boards. Monitoring and review processes also report directly to Senate, which has oversight of these key quality assurance mechanisms.
The QM academic governance structure places responsibility for quality and standards on individuals rather than committees. The Vice-Principal (Teaching and Learning) has responsibility for quality and standards, and specifically for undergraduate and postgraduate taught provision. The Vice-Principal (Research) has responsibility for quality and standards in research, and specifically for research degree programmes. The Vice-Principals are supported by advisory groups with representation from all faculties, the Students’ Union and relevant Professional Services departments, and make regular reports to Senate. Faculty Vice-Principals and Executive Deans, Deans for Taught Programmes and Deans for Research and School/Institute leads for teaching and research have responsibility for quality and standards at Faculty/School/Institute level.
The Academic Registry and Council Secretariat (ARCS) advises the Vice-Principals for Teaching and Learning and for Research on the effectiveness of QMUL’s policies and procedures for the management of academic standards and for quality assurance. ARCS monitors and reviews the operation of these policies and procedures within Schools and Institutes with the aim of ensuring a set of consistent approaches across QMUL. ARCS staff are able to provide advice on all aspects of quality and standards. Colleagues in Schools/Institutes are encouraged to contact ARCS staff with any queries that they may have.
Sources of information on quality assurance in higher education (Queen Mary is not responsible for the content of external sites)