Academic Registry and Council Secretariat

Research Degrees menu

Request an extension of your thesis submission date

You may request an extension of your thesis submission deadline of up to one year if your studies are being affected by circumstances beyond your control. Extensions can be granted in periods of whole months and on one occasion only. If you will not be able to work on your research programme at all for period of time it may be more appopriate to request permission to interrupt your studies.

If you hold a Tier 4 visa you may need to apply for an extension of your visa and should discuss extending your submission date with Advice and Counselling before applying for an extension.

Students who receive funding from Research Councils UK should check the terms and conditions of their studentships before applying for an extension. The terms and conditions of RCUK studentshipsalways take precedence over the Regulations of the College.

Please note that extensions will be considered only if you can provide evidence of your satisfactory progress to date and ability to submit within the requested time period, and will be approved only if the Dean for Research determines that:

(i) your academic progress to date has been satisfactory
(ii) circumstances beyond your control make it impossible for you to complete by your current submission date
(iii) you can reasonably be expected to submit your thesis by or before the requested submission date.

Extensions may be permitted for a number of reasons, including illness, maternity/paternity/adoption leave, personal reasons and financial difficulties. Extensions will not be approved for students who have taken up employment of any kind, including teaching, during their writing up year. Extensions will not be approved as a means of ‘stopping the clock’ for students who are not making adequate progress. Retrospective requests for extensions will not be considered.

Please read the guidance notes on extension request form (below) carefully before requesting an extension. If you decide to request an extension, complete the form and attach documentary evidence in support of your request. Your principal supervisor and Director of Graduate Studies will then add their statements, sign and forward the form and evidence to the Research Degrees Office, who will arrange for consideration of your application. When a decision has been made on your application, the Research Degrees Office will notify you and your School.

[Request and extension [DOC 165KB] Request an extension [PDF 44KB]]

Return to top