Academic Registry and Council Secretariat

Jump to menu

Request a letter to confirm your student status

If you need a letter confirming your status (e.g. for Council Tax exemption, to open a bank account), please contact the Research Degrees Officer for your School. You will not be issued with a letter if you are currently interrupting your studies or if you have failed to re-enrol.

Queen Mary University of London no longer provides council tax exemption letters for students living in the following boroughs:
Tower Hamlets
Waltham Forest
Instead we provide information directly to the Council.  Therefore you do not need to request a council tax exemption letter. However, you must ensure that your term time address is up to date in MySIS and that you complete the councils student disregard form and return it to them in order for your exemption to be processed:  

Redbridge: student disregard application form

Tower Hamlets: student disregard application form

Waltham Forest: student disregard application form

If you have lost your student card, please complete the Replacement Student Card Application PDF document form. If your card was lost, you should take the form to the Cashier’s Office to pay the £12 replacement fee. If your card was stolen, please fill in section B of the form and take it to the Research Degrees Office.

If you are a full-time research student, you can apply for an 18+ Student Oystercard via the Transport for London website. Go to the 18+ Student Oystercard page Link outside ARCS , check that you meet the application criteria, and apply online. When you are prompted to select your institution from the dropdown menu, please ensure that you select Queen Mary University of London - Research Students. If you select Non Research Students, your application will be rejected.

If you are under 26, or over 26 and a full-time student, you can apply for a 16-25 Railcard. You can learn more about the 16-25 Railcard on the Railcard Link outside ARCS website. Currently, mature students are not able to apply online, and will have to request an application form from a railway station. The Research Degrees Office will authorise the form for you upon request.

Bookmark and Share