The QMUL Expeditions Fund 2018/19 offers financial assistance to undergraduate and postgraduate students for expeditions they may wish to undertake during the 2019 summer vacation.
- Travel must be on or between the dates 8June – 22 September 2019, please note expeditions outside these dates will not be eligible.
- An expedition can be any kind of purposeful travel or outdoor pursuit, as an individual or in a group, in the UK or abroad.
- It can be connected to your academic and personal interests but should not be a compulsory part of your course such as a Medical or Dental Elective.
What plans do you have for this summer? Why not read some reports from previous years for ideas. Last year Expeditions Fund awards helped students to:
- attend conferences in Barcelona and Newcastle
- restore a temple and clean up plastic in Bali
- go on medical exchanges in Brazil, Germany, Korea and Portugal
- do placements in Argentina, Japan, San Diego and Singapore
- do dissertation research in Cyprus, Spain, Sri Lanka
- attend summer schools in Amman, Chengdu, Malaga, Vienna
- travel to Africa, Bangladesh, China, India
- participate in projects on female empowerment in Bahrain and ostracod research in Orkney!
The Fund is made up of two small endowments left to the university by previous scholars specifically for travel during the long summer vacation, QMUL funds and a generous donation from the Queen Mary Annual Fund. The Annual Fund is provided by the Alumni Network which provides important financial support to students and enables them to experience additional opportunities for academic and personal development www.qmul.ac.uk/alumni
New - you can now apply online:
- Log in to your MySis portal and go to the Scholarships and Bursaries page (click + if not visible)
- Click on ‘Apply for Scholarship or Bursary’
- Select ‘Expeditions Fund’ from the funding type dropdown and complete the online application screens
- Make sure you press the ‘Submit’ button on the final screen
Or download a paper application form with guidance notes, top right, with details of how to apply
The closing date for receiving completed applications is Friday 26 April 2019