Academic Registry and Council Secretariat

Students menu

Council Tax Exemption

Council Tax is charged on the basis that there are a minimum of two adults living in the dwelling. When counting the number of adult residents, full-time students are ignored. 

The council tax rules say that you will count as a student if you are on a full time programme of study at a recognised educational establishment. The programme must: 

  • last for at least one academic year, and 
  • normally require attendance of at least 24 weeks in an academic year, and 
  • normally require an average of at least 21 hours study per week during term-time (this does not mean 21 hours of supervised study – it can also include periods of study by yourself). 

You can request a Council Tax Exemption Letter from the Student Enquiry Centre.


Queen Mary no longer provides council tax exemption letters for students living in the following boroughs:

  • Newham
  • Redbridge
  • Tower Hamlets
  • Waltham Forest 

Instead we provide information directly to the Council.  Therefore you do not need to request a council tax exemption letter. However, you must ensure that your term time address is up to date in MySIS.

If you live in one of the following boroughs you must also complete the councils student disregard form and return it to them in order for your exemption to be processed:  

Newham: student disregard application form

Redbridge: student disregard application form

Tower Hamlets: student disregard application form

Waltham Forest: student disregard application form


Please note: The Newham, Redbridge and Waltham Forest disregard forms will ask you to upload a student certificate. As a Queen Mary student you will not need to supply this, please just upload a blank Word document in this part of the form.

Return to top