18+ oyster card
An 18+ Oyster Card entitles you to a 30% discount when you buy a weekly or monthly travelcard.
In order to apply, you need to be at least 18 years old and meet the eligibility criteria specified by Transport for London website. There is a charge of £20.00 for each application.
You need to apply for an Oyster Card online by logging onto the TFL website. In order to complete your application online, you will need a passport sized digital photograph of yourself available to upload from your computer along with credit or debit card details for paying the £20.00 application fee. You will also need your student ID number (this is your nine digit student number on the front of your student card).
TfL will ask Queen Mary to confirm that you are fully enrolled. Please make sure you do not apply for your 18+ oyster card until you have fully enrolled. If you apply before you enrol your application will be put on hold, and it will take longer for your application to be validated by Queen Mary. Please note if you are temporarily enrolled we will not validate your application.
For all undergraduate and postgraduate students, please make sure that you select the Queen Mary - Non Research Student option when making your application. We cannot approve placement applications.
Please note that we cannot approve applications for the pre-sessional course. We will ask that you wait until full enrolment on your main programme in September before applying.
Please ensure that the details you enter match those on your student record, including full name. If they don't match, your application will be rejected by Queen Mary.
Please note that during busy periods, such as enrolment, it may take two weeks for us to validate your application.
Once your application has been validated by us, TFL will process the rest of your application and will then send your card to the address you provided. If you have not received your photocard after three weeks, call the TFL helpline to check the status of your application.
You no longer need to re-confirm your multi-year 18+ Student Oyster photocards with TFL via the TFL website in September/October. Instead, in November Queen Mary will inform TfL which students have not re-enrolled and those 18+ Oyster photocards will be stopped.
Continuing students returning from interruption
If you are returning after an interruption, please make sure that you have fully re-enrolled on your course before re-applying for an 18+ Oyster Card to avoid delays in your application being approved. Please also ensure that the details you enter on the application form match those on your student record, including your full name. If they do not match your application will be rejected by Queen Mary.
16+ Zip Oyster photocard
With a 16+ Zip Oyster photocard you can:
- Buy child rate 7 Day, Monthly or longer period Travelcards and Bus & Tram Passes and
- Travel free on buses and trams (if eligible)
- Pay as you go at half the adult rate on bus, Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground and most National Rail services in London.
- If you are on the one year Foundation Certificate in the School of Language Linguistics and Film, International Science and Engineering Foundation Programme or Clinical Foundation Studies, and were aged 18 or under on the 31st August, you are eligible for the 16+ Zip Oyster photocard with free bus/tram travel
- You can apply online or at a Post Office in London
- You must bring the education verification part of the application form to the Student Enquiry Centre to be signed and stamped. You will need to take the stamped verification letter to a Post Office in London and pay the £10 administration fee.
Please click here for further information on the 16+ Zip Oyster photocard eligibility criteria.
- If you are not on a level 3 course but are aged 16 or 17 you are eligible for the 16+ Zip Oyster photocard (without free bus/tram travel)
- A parent or guardian must apply on your behalf and pay a £10 administration fee. This can be done online or at a Post Office in London
- You do not need your educational status to be verified by Queen Mary.
16 - 25 Rail Card
If you're aged between 16 - 25 or if you're over 26 and a full time student studying for over 15 hours a week, at least 20 weeks a year (distance learning and part-time courses do not qualify), you could be eligible for the 16 - 25 rail card. You must be fully enrolled and not have an outstanding debt with Queen Mary in order for us to approve your application.