Academic Registry and Council Secretariat

Students menu



Am I eligible?

HEAR is only available to undergraduate and postgraduate taught students who have/will have graduated from July 2017.

The following students are excluded from the HEAR*:

    • MBBS students
    • BDS students
    • Intercalated students
    • Joint programme students from China
    • DClinDent Students
    • PhD students
    • Associate students
    • Exchange students

As of summer 2019, we will be providing the HEAR to BDS, intercalated and joint programme students from China who will be graduating in or after July 2019. Please look out from your email from Gradintelligence asking you to activate your account. For more information on how to activate your account, please see our website:

What format is the HEAR available in?

Your HEAR is issued to you as a digitally signed electronic document. Queen Mary University of London is working with a company called Gradintelligence to provide this service.

What will be in my HEAR?

  • Information about you
  • Information about your qualification
  • Information about the level of your qualification
  • Information on the modules you took and the results you achieved
  • Information on the function of your qualification (access to further study/ professional status)
  • Any academic prizes won
  • Information about verifiable extracurricular activities and awards achieved whilst studying at QMUL (from 2018/19)
  • Certification of the HEAR

What does a HEAR look like?

Download an example of a Queen Mary University of London HEAR: QMUL HEAR example [PDF 1,904KB].

Are other universities giving HEARs to their students?

Yes, over half the higher education sector is now involved in HEAR development work. For more information visit the National HEAR website.

How do I register?

Please note: QMUL will register you for your Gradintel account. Please do not try and self-register yourself directly through Gradintel as this will mean that we will not be able to register you with your HEAR. If you already have a Gradintel account and a HEAR from another institution, please do not change your previous email address to your QMUL email address as it will mean we cannot register you with your QMUL HEAR.

To activate your account, you will need to follow the link that is found in the email that Gradintelligence have sent to you. The email will read something like:

"Dear ...... 

We are pleased to inform you that you have been registered by Queen Mary University of London to access Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR) Services. Your Gradintelligence user account must be activated by you to enable access to your official University HEAR and related employability services."

Please be advised that your account activation link will expire in 30 days. On successful account activation, we recommend to take a note of your login credentials for future reference Once your account is activated, this link is not needed for future access to your account. 

Please, login directly via once you have registered, you will be able to access your HEAR

How do I create/change my Gradintel username?

On activating your Gradintel account you will be asked to change your username. Please note that any usernames with special characters (e.g. Chinese characters) will cause an error when uploading your electronic status letter and HEAR (if eligible), as the UTF-8 encoding system used cannot recognise them. Therefore, we recommend that you create a username that can be typed using a standard British keyboard.

If you do create a username that uses a special character or includes a space, we request that you contact Gradintel and ask them to change your username on your behalf as neither you nor QMUL have the ability to do this.

Gradintel customer services:

Please remember to include your full name, student ID number and inform them that you are a student at QMUL.

I've forgotten my log in details what do I do?

On the homepage, go to 'Login' then click 'Lost Account Details?' and follow the instructions to reset your password.

Why are there no HEARs for undergraduate and postgraduate taught students who enrolled in 2013 or earlier?

Only students who have an enrolment record for 2016/17 have been loaded onto the Gradintelligence portal as HEAR is being implemented this academic year. Therefore, undergraduate and postgraduate taught students who enrolled for the first time in 2013 or earlier will continue to receive transcripts with their degree certificates.

Who do I contact if the academic achievements, such as (examination/assessment results), are not accurate?

Please get in touch with us here in the Student Enquiry Centre -

In person: Ground floor of the Queens Building, room CB01, Mile End campus.

We are open Monday to Friday 9.00 am - 4.30 pm, except for Thursdays when they open at 10am. Please be aware that throughout the year the Student Enquiry Centre will close. Please check our website for closure notices.

What is the difference between a ‘formative’ and a ‘final’ HEAR?

Continuing students have a formative HEAR which can be updated with module results and extracurricular activties etc, whereas a final HEAR cannot be amended once it displays your award details. The HEAR will remain formative until you are awarded, after which it will become final.

How can HEARs be shared with third parties?

You can issue a token to third parties and specify how many times it can be viewed. See our dedicated section for further information How can I share my HEAR digital transcript?

How often will HEARs be published?

HEARs will be published in March, July and October each year and will provide you with all achievements that have been verified up to that point. You will be above to view formative HEARs from July 2017 onwards. If you wish, you can share your HEAR with third parties using the token system on www.

Does the HEAR show provisional results?

As the HEAR is published following official results release dates, it will show official, confirmed results only. The Student Enquiry Centre/Academic Registry are not at liberty to provide students with provisional results via a physical transcript or the HEAR. It is at the discretion of your School/Institute as to whether they provide you with provisional results so please contact your administrative team directly to request this.

What is Gradintelligence?

Gradintelligence is a service Queen Mary is using to publish your HEAR electronically and allows you to share your HEAR with others such as potential employers or other universities. More information is available from

Why is it necessary to have an account with Gradintelligence?

You need to have an account with Gradintelligence so that you have a secure way of accessing your HEAR during and after your studies at Queen Mary.

QMUL will register an account for you with Gradintel and upload your document/s. You must then activate your account in order to access and share your HEAR.

How much does it cost?

Gradintelligence’s services, including access to the HEAR, are free for students.

Why is my HEAR not on Gradintelligence?

The first HEARs were published in July 2017 for undergraduate and postgraduate students enrolled in the academic year 2016/17 excluding the following programmes: MBBS, BDS, Joint-China Programmes and Associates.

From 2018/19, current and awarding students on BDS and Joint-China programmes will recieve a HEAR for the first time and will be contacted when they are available to access.

Does my HEAR replace my degree certificate?

No. Graduates still receive their degree certificate at the point of graduation. The HEAR will replace your academic transcript.

A university/employer has requested a printed transcript. Will a printed copy of my HEAR be sufficient?

The HEAR is only officially verified in its digital form. Employers may though choose to look at this version and then print or save a copy for their records.

Do employers need to contact the University to verify that the information on my HEAR is correct?

Because the HEAR is digitally signed, we do not envisage that employers or other third parties would wish to contact Queen Mary for verification. Please note that the verified version of the HEAR is the electronic document. Paper copies are for reference only.

I have completed a recognised extracurricular activity but it’s not appearing on my HEAR?

If you have completed an activity or award that is publicised as being eligible for HEAR recognition but it is not appearing on your HEAR, then please contact the Student Enquiry Centre as soon as possible to request that this be investigated at Please be reminded to check the first year that the activity was eligible to appear on the HEAR. We are unable to backdate an activity and add it to your HEAR before it was approved for inclusion, for example, if the first year the activty appeared on the HEAR is 2018/19 and you completed the activity in 2017/18 then we would not be able to add this to your HEAR.

When will my extracurricular activity be added to my HEAR?

Your HEAR is released at set times during the year, following on from official results release dates. The majority of extracurricular activities will be verified and added to the HEAR ahead of the July release date (for finalists), however some activities take place over the summer and therefore cannot be verified ahead of this time. Therefore, for any non-finalist students that complete an activity over the summer, your HEAR will be updated and re-released on an ad-hoc basis. Unfortunately we cannot amend or re-release a HEAR once it has been made final/you have been awarded.

What should I do if I do not want an extracurricular activity to appear on my HEAR?

If you meet all of the criteria for a HEAR eligible extracurricular activity but do not want it to appear on your HEAR, please inform the activity organiser before you complete it so that they know not to verify this information for inclusion in the HEAR. Please remember to do this as we will not be able to remove an activity from your HEAR once it has been made final.

Why are some extracurricular activities not eligible for HEAR recognition?

Departments, Schools and Institutes have been asked to propose activities that they offer that they believe show excellence in education, student engagement, employability or learning environment. Some Departments / Schools / Institutes have not put forward any activities at this time, however they may do so in the future.

I have a question about the HEAR or which extracurricular activities are recorded – who can I speak to?

If your question is related to the content of an activity or award, please contact the organiser or Department / School / Institute that offer it. Please contact if you have a query about the HEAR or how activities are recorded.

What is the difference between a HEAR and a CV?

The HEAR is not a replacement for a CV or job application statement; these are still the most important documents as far as employers are concerned. Instead it will sit alongside these as a complementary document, providing official evidence of the range of knowledge, skills and experience you have developed at university.

Return to top