Academic Registry and Council Secretariat

Students menu

Council tax

Queen Mary reports council tax exemption for students living in the following boroughs, directly to the relevant council:

  • Newham
  • Redbridge
  • Tower Hamlets
  • Waltham Forest

However, you must ensure that your term time address is up to date in MySIS and you complete the council's student disregard form and return it to them in order for your exemption to be processed:

Newham: student disregard application form

Redbridge: student disregard application form

Tower Hamlets: student disregard application form (This form will ask you to provide a council tax accout number. To get this you need to first complete an online moving in form to register that you have moved into the borough which you can find here)

Waltham Forest: student disregard application form

Please note: The Newham, Redbridge and Waltham Forest disregard forms will ask you to upload a student certificate. As a Queen Mary student you will not need to supply this, please upload your Student Status Letter in this part of the form.

For those living in other council boroughs, you will need to provide your council with proof that you are a full time student so that you can be exempt from paying council tax.

The Student Status Letter can be used to confirm your student status and will include your term and home address on your student record. Please ensure your address is up to date in MySIS.

NEW STUDENTS STARTING IN SEPTEMBER 2019! You will recieve your Gradintelligence account activation email shortly after becomming fully enrolled. Once you have activated your account, you will have access to your Student Status Letter. Follow these steps to activate your account: Accessing your Student Status Letter [PDF 354KB]

Return to top