Please note that the forms and guidance documents on this page are subject to change for the academic year 2017-18. All updated documentation will be available by 30th September 2017.
The programme development procedure ensures that all proposals to develop new programmes of study or to change previously approved programmes are scrutinised thoroughly on academic grounds. This scrutiny ensures that each programme of study offered by Queen Mary is designed to the highest possible academic standards and offers students the best possible teaching and learning experience. It also ensures that resource implications are identified and resolved at the earliest stage.
Detailed guidance relating to the procedures for the approval, amendment and withdrawal of programmes, including flowcharts, is given in the Programme and Module Developer's Guidelines below.
Information and guidance regarding the design and revision of modules is included in the section on Module Development.
All programme / module developments will be considered and/or reported at Taught Programmes Board and should take account of the schedule of timescales for approval, amendment and withdrawal.
- Programme and Module Developer's Guidelines [PDF 345KB]
- Summary of the Programme Approval Process [PDF 406KB]
- Guidance notes on Programme Specifications [PDF 224KB]
- CAPD Good Practice Guide on Writing Aims and Learning Outcomes
- Academic Regulations [PDF 710KB]
- Queen Mary Academic Credit Framework [PDF 244KB]
- Generic Level Descriptors [PDF 60KB]
- External Adviser Guidelines [PDF 57KB]
- Framework for Professional Doctorate programmes [PDF 544KB]
External sources to be used in programme development include:
- QAA Framework for Higher Education Qualifications
- QAA Subject Benchmark Statements
- HESA JACS Codes (Version 3)
The JACS code of a programme (and module) should reflect the subject content of the programme (or module). However, a JACS mapping [XLS 82KB] [Updated August 2013] showing where a student will appear in the University Guides, as well as UNISTATS and NSS, based on proportion of programme apportioned to a programme JACS, is provided for information.
Please Note: Interactive Forms cannot be previewed in browser. If you have difficulty when clicking on the form link, please disable the Adobe Reader in-browser plugin and try again. Details of how to disable the plugin can be found inbrowser plug ins guide [DOC 1,635KB]
- Part 1 Programme Proposal Form [PDF 2,383KB]
- Part 1 Programme Proposal Form (SMD Programmes) [PDF 2,383KB]
- Business Case Template [To be submitted with Part 1 Programme Proposals - Choose Workbook 27]
- Programme Specification Template [PDF 1,140KB] - undergraduate only
- Programme Specification Template [PDF 1,138KB] - postgraduate only
- Part 2 Programme Proposal Form: for single/joint/double awards [PDF 1,566KB]
- Programme Amendment Form [PDF 1,121KB]
- Programme Suspension / Withdrawal Form [PDF 1,183KB]
- Change of Programme JACS Form [PDF 1,275KB]
For collaborative programmes:
- Stage 1 Partnership and Programme Proposal Form (single, joint and double award programmes) [PDF 2,447KB] (single, joint and dual programmes)
- Stage 1 Partnership and Programme Proposal Form (single, joint and dual programmes) (SMD programmes) [PDF 2,448KB] (SMD) (single, joint and dual programmes)
- Due Diligence checklist [PDF 2,987KB]
- Stage 2 Academic Proposal Form (Articulation Agreements) [PDF 1,118KB]
Guidance on developing collaborative proposals is available on the Collaborative Provision page.
In order to make use and complete the interactive forms colleagues will require Adobe Reader 9 or later. The latest version of Adobe Reader can be downloaded from this link and is free to download-http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/?promoid=DAFYK.
Once the relevant form has been download it should then be saved and completed. Failure to save the document will mean that data will be lost if you press the back button in your internet browser. The following naming conventions should be used for saving programme forms:
- P1PF_<<programme title>> for Part 1 Programme Proposal Forms
- P2PF_<<programme title>> for Part 2 Programme Proposal Forms
- PAF_<<programme title>> for Programme Amendment Forms
- PWF_<<programme title>> for Programme Withdrawal Forms
- PS_<<programme code>> for Programme Specifications