Academic Registry and Council Secretariat

Students menu

Your Immigration

As an international student you need to ensure that you hold a valid immigration permission (visa) at all times of your stay and/or entry into the UK as a student and that the type of visa you have allows you to study and complete scheduled formal assessments including any examinations with Queen Mary University of London.

There are a number of options available for you and it is vital you ensure that whatever option you choose your visa permits you to study and/or take examinations. 

For example: you can study/complete your examinations if you hold Tier 4 or Student Visitor Visa but if you travel on a Tourist or a Visit visa you are NOT allowed to study or take examinations therefore you must consider your options very carefully before you decide which visa category to apply.

Also please be advised that visa applications irrespective of the category you choose - can take several weeks to be processed by local embassies and you are recommended to plan your application well in advance and allow plenty of time to receive your visa. Please check our guide on how to make sure you have got the correct immigration permission.


The Advice and Counselling Service is part of the network of support for International Students at Queen Mary. As well as the information and advice they offer to all students, they offer international students specific advice on money, immigration and other practical aspects of coming to live and study in the UK. If you have any questions regarding immigration, you will be able to find the information on the Advice and Counselling web pages

Return to top