Academic Registry and Council Secretariat

Students menu

Queen Mary's responsibility as a Tier 4 Sponsor

  • Keep up-to-date copies of the passport and visa/Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) of all students with Tier 4 student immigration permission
  • Ensure that we have up-to-date contact details for all Tier 4 students
  • Inform the Home Office of any students who fail to register for their programme of study
  • Inform the Home Office of any students who interrupt or withdraw from their programme of study and confirm the date that they intend to leave the UK. This includes students who have to retake exams but who will not be attending or receiving tuition during the year
  • Issue Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies ( CAS) only for students who are eligible and able to study in the UK under the Home Office immigration rules
  • Monitor the attendance of Tier 4 students and report to the Home Office any students who fail to meet the Home Office's requirements.  Registry will check attendance throughout the year.  If Queen Mary is not satisfied that your attendance is meeting the Home Office's requirements then Registry will email you before any further action is taken
  • Inform the Home Office about any significant changes to a student's circumstances or programme of studies (e.g. if a student completes the programme early).

NOTE: We conduct regular audits of immigration records for all international students and as per Academic Regulation 2.37 (detailed below) you may receive an email from Registry asking you to provide a copy of your passport, visa, academic qualifications and English language certificate at any point during your studies at the College.

Permission to study in the United Kingdom
All international students shall be required to provide documentary evidence of their immigration status. Any changes to immigration permission must be notified immediately to QMUL and supported with official documentation (changes include those that mean students no longer require visas. QMUL refers specifically to Academic Registry, the Research Degrees Office or the Student Office at Whitechapel. It is not sufficient notification for a student to inform their school or institute only). Students are not required to inform QMUL of changes that result from a decision taken by the institution, such as deregistration. All international students must also be able to present evidence of current, valid permission to study in the UK upon request. Any student who fails to comply with either of these requirements may have their registration and enrolment terminated, and ceases to be a student.

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) also has a useful page to help you understand the rules and responsibilities you have under Tier 4.

For more information about your rights and your responsibilities while you are in the UK visit the Home Office website.

Return to top